Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Worth the Wait

Being confined to a hospital room while the world moves at its usual insane pace outside give one a chance to...well...blog. Not something that I typically get to indulge in because I have one of those jobs that keeps me out crazy hours and when I'm in I rarely feel like using my brain...
Given that Kimberly had our first child in 2006 and now our third in 2009 I'm reminded that my wife has been pregnant for 90% of the last 4 years. However, this last pregnancy was special.
First of all, it marked an end to an era for us. God willing we're done having kids! The most interested part of this last horrahh has been our decision to be surprised by the sex of our baby. We didn't set out with this plan to maintain ignorance to the bitter/sweet end. We actually tried to find out the sex around 12 week mark but was told that it was "anatomically impossible". Shortly after that we made a decision to throw caution to the wind. The issue was that Kimberly and I are forever planners, plotters, and goal setters. The "not knowing" almost became unbearable in the last few weeks as Kimberly settled into her heavy nesting phase. Not knowing meant no bedding, clothes, paint colors, toy purchasing, etc...
This would have been tolerable had the pressure to produce a girl in my family not been such an enormous deal. I say this with sarcasm although after 8 straight boys and ending up on the brink of a studly baseball team the pressure was indeed mounting. If we would have found out the sex our entire family could have sat back and relaxed for the last several months knowing that we had finally accomplished what seemed to be the impossible. Kimberly and I, nonetheless, stood our ground.
Fast forward to June 16, 5:08am. When the moment arrived and what emerged was a beautiful, healthy, baby girl Kimberly and I both realized...it was all "worth the wait".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wade & Kimberly, my sister has got me hooked on the Lombard Family recipe blog (love it... I'm learning to cook....), and I hopped onto your blog from Lindsey's... just wanted to say huge congrats on your precious new arrival! You have an amazingly beautiful family.
Warm wishes,
christa